Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jeff McInnis 's Fried Green Tomatoes

I have LOVED fried green tomatoes for as long as I can remember. Even though I was born and raised in Chicago, both of my parents came from West Virginia and I grew up eating my mom's fried green tomatoes with gravy and biscuits my whole life.

Mom's green tomatoes are perfect to me...fried in a iron skillet, with bacon fat...OMG to die for.

These are just simply delicious...crispy and fresh. I decided to make a dinner of these, so I made my own purple potato and yellow zucchini salad.

Mom...you would love this dinner!

Chef Jeff McGinnis's Fried Green Tomatoes with Tomatoe Jam

Ingredients:
7 Large green tomtatoes
Salt and fresh ground pepper
5 eggs
1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups panko bread crumps
Olive oil for frying

Red tomato jam:
6 large, heirloom tomatoes
2 tbls olive oil
1 tsp salt

Cut the tomatoes into 1/2 thick slices, sprinkle with salt and pepper, set aside.

Beat the eggs with the water in a medium bowl. Combine flour with salt and pepper in shallow dish. Put the Panko in a shallow dish.

Dredge each tomato slice in the seasoned flour, skaing off any excess. Dip them in the egg wash, then dredge them in the panko crumbs.

Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels. In a heavy skillet, heat about 1/2 inch of olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the tomato slices in batches to avoid over crowding, and fry, turning once until golden brown and crispy about three minutes total. Add more olive oil as needed. Transfer the cooked slices to the paper towel lined baking sheets. Blot dry and let drain.

Serve with the tomato jam

Tomato Jam

Blanch and peel tomatoes, chop and combine with Olive oil and salt in a saute pan over low heat. Cook until tomatoes break down and concentrate into a jam, about 25 minutes. Let cool before serving.

Ken's purple potato salad

2 yellow zucchini
1 1/2 pounds of  new purple potatoes
1 scallion
1 small tomato
1 tbls of balsamic vinegar
1 tbls of ground mustard
3 tbls of  olive oil
1 tsp of oregano
5-6 oz of Feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until fork tender (about six minutes)
slice in half. Dice tomato, slice onion, and add to large bowl.

Cut zucchini  in half, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill till tender. Add to medium bowl.
In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.
Mix gently and toss with potatoes, onion, zucchini and tomatoes. Toss in crumbled feta cheese and serve.

My daughter, Alli acted as my Sous Chef tonight and loved tonights dinner...but really loved my Potato salad......wants it as a new regular side dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment